The Islamic College of Melbourne provides students with two study options in their senior years of schooling, Year 11 & 12. These programs of study are the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) incorporating VET or the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.
For full information on both courses please refer to the corresponding handbook, found in the Resources section of this page. Year 9 students are expected to make a preliminary choice on which pathway they will be pursuing mid-way through Term 3.
Students in Year 10 at ICOM participate in a three-year senior program. This curriculum program has been designed to meet the diverse educational needs of our students and to provide each student with a stimulating and valuable learning experience.
All students will undertake work placement as part of the Year 10 Careers Program. This is designed to help students explore career options and promote job-seeking skills. Students are required to find their own work placement. Work placement is for one week and takes place during a designated week in the Term 2 holiday break.
All students will also participate in a Community and Service Program under the CAS (Creativity, Activity and Service Certificate). Students are required to be involved in activities both as individuals and as part of a team that take place in local, national and international contexts. CAS enables students to enhance their personal and interpersonal development as well as their social and civic development through experiential learning. CAS supports students in achieving a counterbalance to the academic challenge of the rest of their study program. All students will receive a CAS Certificate from the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) at the end of Year 11.
Features of the Year 10 Program
- Students will complete seven subjects (in addition to classes in Physical education, careers and Quran & Religion) and are expected to select subjects for the duration of the year.
- All students must select one Year 10 English and one Year 10 Mathematics subject based on their preferred pathway of study (VCE or IB).
- Science and Humanities are compulsory.
- Students will have the opportunity to undertake a VCE or VCE-VET unit if they can demonstrate academic potential and a commitment to the study.
- IB students must choose Unit 3 & 4 Extended Investigation.
- Students who wish to pursue an IB Diploma pathway must choose a language of study & thinking skills subjects.
- All acceleration will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- All students in the senior years will sit mid and end of year exams.
- All Year 10 students will participate in the community & Service Program CAS.
- All Year 10 students are required to complete at least one week of work placement.
- Students will be equipped to pursue the VCE or IB Diploma Programme at the end of Year 10.
Year 10 CurriculumPre-VCE and Pre-IB Diploma will begin in Year 10 for all students.
|BLOCK 1||BLOCK 2||BLOCK 3||BLOCK 4||BLOCK 5||BLOCK 6||BLOCK 7||COMPULSORY|
|Chose one English Subject:||Chose one Mathematics Subject:||Science is compulsory.||Humanities are compulsory.||Chose one VCE/VCE VET Subject:||Chose one LOTE Subject:||Chose one Arts & Tech Subject:||The following subjects are also compulsory:|
|• Bridging English|
• Advanced English
|• Foundation Maths|
• Higher Maths
• Advanced Maths
• Global Politics
• Legal Studies
• Business & Economics
|• VET Certificate II Business|
• VET Certificate II Information, Digital Media & Technology (IDMT)
• VET Certificate III Allied Health Assistance
• Health & Human Development
• Unit 3 & 4 Extended Investigation
• Text & Traditions
|• Design & Technology|
• Media Studies
• Thinking Skills
• Quran & Religious Studies